Author Topic: Camping, trailers, and tents  (Read 694 times)

arveetek

• Club Member
  • Active Off-Roader
    • View Profile
Camping, trailers, and tents
« on: February 24, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »
Before I got into the off-road style of travel, I was already big into camping and traveling with an RV.

I purchased my first camper when I was 19.  I moved into a 1978 Coachmen 5th wheel in my parents' driveway.  Then I purchased a nearly new 1993 Alpenlite 5th wheel in 1996 that had some slight damage and fixed it up.  I still had that when my wife and I got married in 2003:

That was the rig we took to Colorado Springs around 2005 or 2006 (can't remember for sure).  Somewhere I've got a pic of that truck at the top of Pike's Peak.  (I miss that truck... had it for 14 years... should have never sold it.)

1981 Chevy 2WD 3/4 ton, with swapped-in 6.2L turbodiesel

When we started our family, we sold the 5th wheel, and then took possession of my grandmother's small, old, 16' travel trailer that had been in the family for years.  We had a lot of fun camping with that rig.  Unfortunately, it was stolen out of our driveway last summer.

Now we're looking at purchasing a good quality tent to use with the upcoming Colorado trip.

It's quite funny when you think about it.  Most folks start out with a tent, then move up to a small travel trailer, and then end up with a nice 5th wheel.  I started out with a nice 5th wheel, moved down to a small travel trailer, and have finally "upgraded" to a tent!  ;)

Casey

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:07:24 PM by arveetek »
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4L80E, NV241, 3.42 gears, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG T/A K02's on Toyota Steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin Brush Guard

StevenB

• Club Member
  • 4x4 Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Camping, trailers, and tents
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »
Love the truck. Yeah you should have kept it lol. We kind of did the same thing we have a big camper that I'm trying to sell to buy a smaller one but we always take our tent instead of the camper.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk